Wednesday, October 11, 2006

On Bernard Rimland

Dr. Rimland is a man I have many philosophical disagreements with. I oppose his theory of the etiology of autism, I oppose the way he justified that theory, I oppose the way he has defended the theory. I disagree with his treatments, and I dislike the way he has defended those treatments. Finally, I disagree with the view he has promoted of autistic people.

It might come as no surprise if I were to therefore say that I have ill feeling toward him.

Not so however. Yesterday I learned that Dr. Rimland was ill, possibly very seriously. I hope very sincerely that he will recover and remain with us for some time to come and if not, that he will be remembered for his dedication to the autism field and his important early work debunking the refrigerator-mother etiology of autism theory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home