Sunday, September 14, 2008

Proud of the Hub: 3 Years Later

Tomorrow this blog will be 3 years old. I suppose that this would be a good opportunity for reflection. I have seen lots of writing, lots of effort, lots of really good discussions, and a few highly interesting disagreements. It has been very educational for me and I would hope that one or two others have taken some sort of benefit from this blog as well. It is both frustrating and sad that I no longer have the time to blog as actively as I once did. However, I am happy that so many new blogs have joined the Hub and are actively participating.

I am happy too, that the core values of the Hub remain intact. When the Hub was first formed a few years back it was somewhat smaller than it is today. When this blog was invited to join the brand new (at the time) Hub, it was only with some trepidation that I accepted. This type of venture often fails and I worried that philosophical disagreements between the original members would result in the implosion of the Hub. One of the fundamental truths about the Autism Hub is that its constituent members align to some degree with the philosophy of Neurodiversity. And that those who attune with Neurodiversity are... well …….. diverse!

However, despite the expected disagreements, the expected implosion never occurred. Cleary there is something different about the Hub…. Something that lends cohesion. I think this relates to the core values of the Hub, both what is stated and what has become unwritten Hub policy. The respect we ask for autistics, the encouragement of self- advocates, the finding the good, the humorous, and even the beautiful as it concerns autism in our own lives, or in the lives of our families, or in our profession. And we accomplish all this in spite of, but not in disregard to…. Our differences.

Interverbal
Proud member of the Hub since 2006.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alyric said...

And a very happy anniversary to you.

With affection:)

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a lot to be proud of in this blog - you've contributed significantly to the advancement of thinking and discourse. Thank you and congratulations!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Do'C said...

It is both frustrating and sad that I no longer have the time to blog as actively as I once did. However, I am happy that so many new blogs have joined the Hub and are actively participating.

Interverbal, I've always enjoyed your contributions to the hub, especially the co-authored pieces, however far apart they may be. Here's a flashback to the beginning - all 18 blogs.

Link

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home